FIDE Circuit 2023
FIDE Circuit is the new path to qualify for the FIDE Candidates Tournament 2024. One player who would achieve the highest results during 2023 in eligible tournaments gets the spot in the FIDE Candidates. Each player has to play in a minimum of five eligible tournaments, including at least four with a standard time control The final score is calculated as the sum of the player’s five highest scores.
Eligible tournaments are FIDE-rated individual tournaments which meet the following criteria:
- Finish in the 2023 calendar year
- At least 8 players
- At least 7 rounds
- The 8 highest-rated players have an average standard rating of 2550 at the start of the tournament (TAR)
- The Chief Arbiter is an International Arbiter
- Recommended FPL Fair Play procedures are applied
- Players represent at least 3 national federations
- Not more than 50% of either the 20 highest-rated players or all players, if there are fewer than 20 players, shall represent one federation.
For National Championships, the last two criteria are waived.
The following non-standard play tournaments are included:
- World Rapid Championship
- World Blitz Championship
- Continental Rapid and Blitz Championships
- Other Rapid & Blitz tournaments that meet the above criteria and have an average standard rating of top 8 players 2700 or higher